By Brent Toderian
Spain may be facing significant economic and political challenges these days, but Barcelona’s city-building remains one of the best models in the world. Few cities inspire my thinking more.
1. Don’t think like a city planner, architect or engineer. Think like a citizen.
2. Architects, quit complaining about rules!
3. Make walking (and biking) irresistible.
4. Small, tight streets work great, and so do wide streets, if designed right.
5. Tall buildings aren’t evil – but don’t put them just anywhere.
6. Even Barcelona can learn from Barcelona